Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry and
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicinal Chemistry and
of Bioengineering and of Internal Medicine
B.S. University of Utah
Ph.D. University of Utah
Shawn Owen's Lab Page
Shawn Owen's PubMed Literature Search
Biological Chemistry Program
Biotherapeutics, Biomaterials for cell-based therapy
My lab utilizes protein engineering and bioconjugation techniques in developing therapeutic and diagnostic platforms to enable precision medicine. Our current research focus is on 1) controlling the systemic and cellular pharmacokinetics (PK) of antibody-based therapeutics by creating self-amplifying antibody-drug conjugates, 2) evaluating the pharmaceutic stability of antibody-based therapeutics, and 3) engineering binary/ternary complementation-based diagnostic systems that utilize luminescent reporters for detection of important biomarkers.
- Dixon AS, Kim SJ, Baumgartner BJ, Krippner S, Owen SC. A Tri-part Protein Complementation System Using Antibody-Small Peptide Fusions Enables Homogeneous Immunoassays, Scientific Reports, 2017, In press
- McCombs JR, Owen SC. (2015) Antibody drug conjugates: design and selection of linker, payload and conjugation chemistry. AAPS J 17(2):339-51.
- Owen SC, Doak AK, Ganesh AN, Nedyalkova L, McLaughlin CK, Shoichet BK, Shoichet MS. (2014) Colloidal drug formulations can explain "bell-shaped" concentration-response curves. ACS Chem Biol 9(3):777-84.
- Chan DP, Deleavey GF, Owen SC, Damha MJ, Shoichet MS. (2013) Click conjugated polymeric immuno-nanoparticles for targeted siRNA and antisense oligonucleotide delivery. Biomaterials 34(33):8408-15.
- Owen SC, Patel N, Logie J, Pan G, Persson H, Moffat J, Sidhu SS, Shoichet MS. (2013) Targeting HER2+ breast cancer cells: lysosomal accumulation of anti-HER2 antibodies is influenced by antibody binding site and conjugation to polymeric nanoparticles. J Control Release 172(2):395-404.
- Owen SC, Fisher SA, Tam RY, Nimmo CM, Shoichet MS. (2013) Hyaluronic acid click hydrogels emulate the extracellular matrix. Langmuir 29(24):7393-400.
- Chan DP, Owen SC, Shoichet MS. (2013) Double click: dual functionalized polymeric micelles with antibodies and peptides. Bioconjug Chem 24(1):105-13.
- Ho KS, Poon PC, Owen SC, Shoichet MS. (2012) Blood vessel hyperpermeability and pathophysiology in human tumour xenograft models of breast cancer: a comparison of ectopic and orthotopic tumours. BMC Cancer 12:579.
- Owen SC, Doak AK, Wassam P, Shoichet MS, Shoichet BK. (2012) Colloidal aggregation affects the efficacy of anticancer drugs in cell culture. ACS Chem Biol 7(8):1429-35.
- Aizawa Y, Owen SC, Shoichet MS. (2012) Polymers used to influence cell fate in 3D geometry: new trends. Progress in Polymer Science 37(5):645-658.
- Terry CM, Li L, Li H, Zhuplatov I, Blumenthal DK, Kim SE, Owen SC, Kholmovski EG, Fowers KD, Rathi R, Cheung AK. (2012) In vivo evaluation of the delivery and efficacy of a sirolimus-laden polymer gel for inhibition of hyperplasia in a porcine model of arteriovenous hemodialysis graft stenosis. J Control Release 160(3):459-67.
- Owen SC, Chan DPY, Shoichet MS. (2012) Polymeric micelle stability. Nano Today 7(1):53-65.
- Lu J, Owen SC, Shoichet MS. (2011) Stability of Self-Assembled Polymeric Micelles in Serum. Macromolecules 44(15):6002-6008.
- Nimmo CM, Owen SC, Shoichet MS. (2011) Diels-Alder Click cross-linked hyaluronic acid hydrogels for tissue engineering. Biomacromolecules 12(3):824-30.
- Owen SC, Shoichet MS. (2010) Design of three-dimensional biomimetic scaffolds. J Biomed Mater Res A 94(4):1321-31.
- Owen SC, Li H, Sanders WG, Cheung AK, Terry CM. (2010) Correlation of tissue drug concentrations with in vivo magnetic resonance images of polymer drug depot around arteriovenous graft. J Control Release 146(1):23-30.
- Owen SC, Lee M, Grissom CB. (2010) Ultra-Performance Liquid Chromatographic Separation and Mass Spectrometric Quantitation of Physiologic Cobalamins. Journal of Chromatographic Science 49(3):228-233.