Associate Professor of Chemistry
B.Sc. Chelyabinsk State University, Russia
Ph.D. University of Colorado, Boulder
Ilya Zharov's Lab Page
Ilya Zharov's PubMed Literature Search
Biological Chemistry Program
Nanoparticles for Drug Delivery, Organic and Biological Materials
Our work related to biological chemistry focuses on the preparation of internally functionalized biodegradable silica nanoparticles with applications in drug delivery, cancer treatment and MRI imaging. Silica nanoparticles (SNPs) are attractive for applications in delivery of drugs and imaging agents due to their ease of synthesis and scale up, robust structure, and controllable size and composition. Degradability is one important factor that limits biomedical applications of SNPs. Our interest in this area stems from the desire to develop novel theranostic materials and our approach to this problem is based on our ability to alter the internal composition of silica nanoparticle with various functional groups
- Brozek, E., Zharov, I. Internal Functionalization and Surface Modification of Vinylsilsesquioxane Nanoparticles. Chem. Mater.2009, 21, 1451-1456.
- Gao, Z.; Walton, N.; Malugin, A.; Ghandehari, H.; Zharov, I. Preparation of Dopamine-Modified Boron Nanoparticles.J. Mater. Chem. 2012,22, 877-882.
- Gao, Z.; Zharov, I. Large Pore Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles by Templating with a Nonsurfactant Molecule, Tannic Acid. Chem. Mater. 2014,26, 2030-2037.
- Dubey, R.; Kushal, S.; Levin, M. D.; Mollard, A.; Oh, P.; Schnitzer, J. E.; Zharov, I.; Olenyuk, B. Z. Tumor Targeting, Trifunctional Dendritic Wedge. Bioconj. Chem. 2015, 26, 78-89.
- Brozek, E. M.; Washton, N. M.; Mueller, K. T.; Zharov, I. Silsesquioxane Particles with Internal Functional Groups. J. Nanopart. Res. 2017, 19, 85-97.
- Gao, Z.; Moghaddam, S. P. H.; Ghandehari, H.; Zharov, I. Synthesis of Water-Degradable Silica Nanoparticles from Carbamate-Containing Bridged Silsesquioxane Precursor. RSC Adv. 2018, 8, 4914-4920.