Professor of Microbiology and Immunology
B.S. University of California, San Diego
Ph.D. University of California, Los Angeles
Dean Tantin's Lab Page
Dean Tantin's PubMed Literature Search
Molecular Biology Program
Gene Regulation in T cells, in T cell memory and autoimmunity, in Stem Cells and in Cancer
The major goal of our research is to understand the function of T cells and stem cells, and the malignant state, through the lens of transcriptional responses – the most potent way to change the cellular state. Sequence-specific DNA binding transcription factors sculpt gene expression patterns by interacting with particular DNA sequences in our genomes. We use biochemical, genetic and genomic approaches to determine mechanisms and functions of these factors. Our work interfaces with the fields of immunology, stem cell biology, transcription and chromatin, metabolism and malignancy.
Major projects in the lab include:
- The Gene regulatory basis of CD4 T cell memory.
- The Role of transcription factors and co-regulators in autoimmunity.
- Control of poised gene expression in differentiating embryonic stem cells.
- Transcription regulatory processes underlying cellular reprogramming to pluripotency.
- Gene regulation in gut malignancy and leukemia.
Embryonic stem cells carrying a conditional allele of Oct1 were injected into blastocysts to generate chimeric animals (left). Treatment of these cells with tamoxifen to delete Oct1 results in a normal embryonic cell ground state, but lack of contribution to adult tissues (right).
- Bensard CL, Wisidagama DR, Olson KA, Berg JA, Krah NM, Schell JC, Nowinski SM, Fogarty S, Bott AJ, Wei P, Dove KK, Tanner JM, Panic V, Cluntun A, Lettlova S, Earl CS, Namnath DF, Vázquez-Arreguín K, Villanueva CJ, Tantin D, Murtaugh LC, Evason KJ, Ducker GS, Thummel CS, Rutter J. (2020) Regulation of Tumor Initiation by the Mitochondrial Pyruvate Carrier. Cell Metab. 31: 284
McDonough JE, Ahangari F, Li Q, Jain S, Verleden SE, Herazo-Maya J, Vukmirovic M, DeIuliis G, Tzouvelekis A, Tanabe N, Chu F, Yan X, Verschakelen J, Homer RJ, Manatakis DV, Zhang J, Ding J, Maes K, De Sadeleer L, Vos R, Neyrinck A, Benos PV, Bar-Joseph Z, Tantin D, Hogg JC, Vanaudenaerde BM, Wuyts WA, Kaminski N. (2019) Transcriptional regulatory model of fibrosis progression in the human lung. JCI Insight 4:e141597
- Jafek JL, Shakya A, Tai P-Y, Ibarra A, Kim H, Maddox J, Chumley J, Spangrude GJ, Miles RR, Kelley TW and Tantin D (2019) Transcription factor Oct1 protects against hematopoietic stress and promotes acute myeloid leukemia. Exp. Hemat. 76:38
- Vázquez-Arreguín K, Bensard C, Schell JC, Swanson E, Chen X, Rutter J, Tantin D (2019) Oct1/Pou2f1 is selectively required for colon regeneration and regulates colon malignancy. PLoS Genet. 15:e1007687
- Kim, H, Dickey L, Stone C, Jafek JL, Lane TE, Tantin D (2019) T cell-selective deletion of Oct1 protects animals from autoimmune neuroinflammation while maintaining neurotropic pathogen response. J. Neuroinflamm. 16:133
- Shen Z, Formosa T, Tantin D (2018) FACT Inhibition Blocks Induction but not Maintenance of Pluripotency. Stem Cells Dev. 27:1693
Vázquez-Arreguín K, Maddox J, Kang J, Park D, Cano RR, Factor RE, Ludwig T, Tantin D (2018) BRCA1 Through its E3 ligase Activity Regulates the Transcription Factor Oct1 and Carbohydrate Metabolism. Mol. Cancer. Res. 16: 439
- Shen Z, Kang J, Shakya A, Tabaka M, Jarboe EA, Regev A, Tantin D (2017) Enforcement of developmental lineage specificity by transcription factor Oct1. Elife e20937
- Kikani CK, Wu X, Paul L, Sabic H, Shen Z, Shakya A, Keefe A, Villanueva C, Kardon G, Graves B, Tantin D, Rutter J (2016) Pask integrates hormonal signaling with histone modification via Wdr5 phosphorylation to drive myogenesis. Elife e17985
- Vázquez-Arreguín K, Tantin D (2016) The Oct1 transcription factor and epithelial malignancies: old protein learns new tricks. Biochem. Biochim Biophys Acta 1859: 792-804
- Shakya A, Goren A, Shalek A, German CN, Snook J, Kuchroo VK, Yosef N, Chan RC, Regev A, Williams MA, Tantin D (2015) Oct1 and OCA-B are Selectively Required for CD4 Memory T Cell Function. J. Exp. Med. 212: 2115
- Shakya A, Callister C, Goren A, Yosef N, Garg N, Khoddami V, Nix D, Regev A, Tantin D (2015) Pluripotency transcription factor Oct4 mediates stepwise nucleosome demethylation and depletion. Mol Cell Biol 35: 1014-25
- Tantin D (2013) Oct transcription factors in development and stem cells: insights and mechanisms. Development 140: 2857-2866
- Maddox J, Tantin D (2013) Oct4, Oct1 and Cancer Stem Cells. In “Cancer Stem Cells” Ed: Vinagolu K. Rajasekhar, Wiley & Sons, p 319–329
- Kang J, Shen Z, Lim JM, Handa H, Wells L, Tantin D (2013) Regulation of Oct1/Pou2f1 transcription activity by O-GlcNAcylation. FASEB J. 27: 2807-17
- Yosef N, Shalek AK, Gaublomme JT, Jin H, Lee Y, Awasthi A, Wu C, Karwacz K, Xiao S, Jorgolli M, Gennert D, Satija R, Shakya A, Lu DY, Trombetta JJ, Pillai MR, Ratcliffe PJ, Coleman ML, Bix M, Tantin D, Park H, Kuchroo VK, Regev A (2013) Dynamic regulatory network controlling TH17 cell differentiation. Nature 496: 461-468
- Manning J, Mitchell B, Appadurai DA, Shakya A, Pierce LJ, Wang H, Nganga V, Swanson PC, May JM, Tantin D, Spangrude GJ (2013) Vitamin C promotes maturation of T-cells. Antioxid Redox Signal 19: 2054-2067
- Maddox J, Shakya A, South S, Shelton D, Andersen JN, Chidester S, Kang J, Gligorich KM, Jones DA, Spangrude GJ, Welm BE and Tantin D (2012) Transcription Factor Oct1 is a Somatic and Cancer Stem Cell Determinant. PLoS Genet. 8: e1003048
- Li Q, Shakya A, Guo X, Zhang H, Tantin D, Jensen PE, Chen X (2012) Constitutive Nuclear Localization of NFAT in FoxP3+ Regulatory T Cells Independent of Calcineurin Activity. J Immunol 188: 4268-4277
- Ferraris L, Stewart AP, Kang J, Desimone AM, Gemberling M, Tantin D, Fairbrother WG (2011) Combinatorial binding of transcription factors in the pluripotency control regions of the genome. Genome Res 21: 1055-1064
- Shakya A, Kang J, Chumley J, Williams MA, Tantin D (2011) Oct1 is a switchable, bipotential stabilizer of repressed and inducible transcriptional states. J Biol Chem 286: 450-459
- Shakya A, Cooksey R, Cox JE, Wang V, McClain DA, Tantin D (2009) Oct1 loss of function induces a coordinate metabolic shift that opposes tumorigenicity. Nat Cell Biol 11: 320-327
- Kang J, Gemberling M, Nakamura M, Whitby FG, Handa H, Fairborther W, Tantin D (2009) A general mechanism for transcription regulation by Oct1 and Oct4 in response to oxidative stress. Genes Dev 23: 208-222