Professor of Internal Medicine and
Research Professor of Biochemistry
B.A. Concordia College
Ph.D. Duke University
Dennis Winge's Lab Page
Dennis Winge's PubMed Literature Search
Molecular Biology Program
Biological Chemistry Program
Assembly of mitochondrial respiratory complexes, Mitochondria, OXPHOS Respiration
Research in the Winge laboratory is focused on cellular mitochondria. One major focus is the biogenesis of the mitochondrial electron transfer respiratory complexes II, III and IV within this organelle. Improper assembly of these complexes occurs in disease states of cardiomyopathy, hepatopathy and neurological disorders in patients with mutations in structural subunits or assembly factors. A key step in assembly of these complexes is the formation of their essential flavin, heme, and iron-sulfur centers, which are inserted by the involvement of assembly factor proteins. Current studies are focused on the assembly of iron-sulfur clusters within mitochondria and transfer of preassembled clusters to client proteins within the organelle. Heme is synthesized within mitochondria, but nothing is known of its trafficking to other cell compartments. Studies are ongoing on heme distribution within mitochondria.
- Oxygen-dependent activation of Cu,Zn-superoxide dismutase-1. M Fetherolf M, Boyd SD, Winkler DD, Winge DR. Metallomics. 2017 Jul 7, in press
- Structure of human Fe-S assembly subcomplex reveals unexpected cysteine desulfurase architecture and acyl-ACP-ISD11 interactions. Cory SA, Van Vranken JG, Brignole EJ, Patra S, Winge DR, Drennan CL, Rutter J, Barondeau DP. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017 Jul 3;114(27):E5325-E5334.
- Copper-zinc superoxide dismutase is activated through a sulfenic acid intermediate at a copper ion entry site. Fetherolf MM, Boyd SD, Taylor AB, Kim HJ, Wohlschlegel JA, Blackburn NJ, Hart PJ, Winge DR, Winkler DD. J Biol Chem. 2017 Jul 21;292(29):12025-12040.
- Cox1 mutation abrogates need for Cox23 in cytochrome c oxidase biogenesis. Dela Cruz R, Jeong MY, Winge DR. Microb Cell. 2016 Jun 30;3(7):275-284.
- Inner Secrets of the Respirasome. Melber A, Winge DR. Cell. 2016 Dec 1;167(6):1450-1452.
- The mitochondrial acyl carrier protein (ACP) coordinates mitochondrial fatty acid synthesis with iron sulfur cluster biogenesis. Van Vranken JG, Jeong MY, Wei P, Chen YC, Gygi SP, Winge DR, Rutter J. Elife. 2016 Aug 19;5. pii: e17828.
- Role of Nfu1 and Bol3 in iron-sulfur cluster transfer to mitochondrial clients. Melber A, Na U, Vashisht A, Weiler BD, Lill R, Wohlschlegel JA, Winge DR. Elife. 2016 Aug 17;5. pii: e15991.
- The Plasma Membrane Protein Nce102 Implicated in Eisosome Formation Rescues a Heme Defect in Mitochondria. Kim HJ, Jeong MY, Parnell TJ, Babst M, Phillips JD, Winge DR. J Biol Chem. 2016 Aug 12;291(33):17417-26.
- Protein-mediated assembly of succinate dehydrogenase and its cofactors. Van Vranken JG, Na U, Winge DR, Rutter J. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2015 Mar-Apr;50(2):168-80.
- The LYR factors SDHAF1 and SDHAF3 mediate maturation of the iron-sulfur subunit of succinate dehydrogenase. Na U, Yu W, Cox J, Bricker DK, Brockmann K, Rutter J, Thummel CS, Winge DR. Cell Metab. 2014 Aug 5;20(2):253-66.
- Modulation of the respiratory supercomplexes in yeast: enhanced formation of cytochrome oxidase increases the stability and abundance of respiratory supercomplexes. Cui TZ, Conte A, Fox JL, Zara V, Winge DR. J Biol Chem. 2014 Feb 28;289(9):6133-41.
- Copper import into the mitochondrial matrix in Saccharomyces cerevisiae is mediated by Pic2, a mitochondrial carrier family protein. Vest KE, Leary SC, Winge DR, Cobine PA. J Biol Chem. 2013 Aug 16;288(33):23884-92.