Professor of Chemistry
B.S. University of California, Irvine
Ph.D. University of California, Riverside
Jon Rainier's Lab Page
Jon Rainier's PubMed Literature Search
Biological Chemistry Program
Our primary interests lie in the field of chemical synthesis. Within this discipline, we are particularly fascinated by the interplay between structure (biological activity), total synthesis, and the development of new chemical reactions.
Total Synthesis and Structure
Biologically active targets that are currently receiving attention in our laboratory include: (a) fused polycyclic ether natural products (e.g. the neurotoxic marine natural product gambierol and the potent anticancer agent halichondrin B); (b) indoline and oxindole natural products (e.g. ditryptophenaline, cytochalasin); (c) oxygenated cembranoids (e.g. the anticancer agent eleutherobin); (d) Diazofluorenone containing natural products (e.g. the anticancer agent lomaiviticin).
We are also involved in the development of new reactions with a particular emphasis on the use of new and/or improved methods to the synthesis of the targets mentioned above. Among the reactions currently being examined in our laboratory are: (a) new methods to synthesize carbon-glycosides; (b) ring-closing and ring opening metathesis reactions; (c) the use of rhodium carbenoids to generate highly substituted indolines; (d) ring expansion reactions of bicyclic ring systems; (e) metal induced [2+2+1] cycloaddition reactions.
- Coryell M, Wunsch A, Haenfler J, Allen J, Schnizler M, Ziemann A, Cook M, Dunning J, Price M, Rainier JD, Liu Z, Light A, Langbenh D, Wemmie J (2009) Acid-sensing ion channel-1a in the amygdala, a novel therapeutic target in depression-related behavior. J. Neurosci. 29:5481-5388
- Zhang Y, Rainier JD (2009) Two Directional Olefinic-Ester and Diene Ring-Closing Metathesis using Reduced Ti Alkylidenes. A Rapid Entry into Polycyclic Ether Skeletons. Org. Lett. 11:237
- Rohanna JC, Rainier JD (2009) Olefinic-Lactone Cyclizations to Macrocycles. Org. Lett. 11:493
- Hayes SG, McCord JL, Rainier J, Liu Z, Kaufman MP (2008) Role Played by Acid-Sensitive Ion Channels in Evoking the Exercise Pressor Reflex. Am. J. Phys. 295:H1720-H1725
- Espejo VR, Rainier JD (2008) An Expeditious Synthesis of C(3)-N(1') Heterodimeric Indolines. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 130:12894
- Osei Akoto C, Rainier JD (2008) Harnessing Glycal Epoxide Rearrangements. The Generation of the A,B-, E,F-, and I,J-Rings of Adriatoxin. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 47:8055
- Boyarskikh V, Nyong A, Rainier JD (2008) Highly Diastereoselective Sulfonium Ylide Rearrangements to Quaternary Substituted Indolines. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 47:5374
- Light AR, Hughen RW, Zhang Z, Rainier J, Liu Z, Lee J (2008) Dorsal root ganglion neurons innervating skeletal muscle respond to physiological combinations of protons, ATP and lactate mediated by ASIC, P2X and TRPV1. J. Neurophysiol. 100:1169
- Cuypers E, Abdel-Mottaleb Y, Rainier JD, Tytgat J (2008) Gambierol, A Toxicon Produced by the Gambierdiscus toxicus, is a Potent blocker of Voltage-Gated Potassium Channels. Toxicon 51:974
- Cao Z, George J, Gerwick WH, Baden DG, Rainier JD, Murray TF (2008) Influence of Lipid Soluble Gating Modifier Toxins on Sodium Influx in Neocortical Neurons. J. Pharm. Exp. Therap. 362:604
- Iyer K, Rainier JD (2007) Olefinic-Ester and Diene Ring-Closing Metathesis Using a Reduced Titanium Alkylidene. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 129:12604