Assistant Professor of Bioengineering and
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry
B.S. University of Utah
Ph.D. University of California, Los Angeles
Jessica Kramer's Lab Page
Jessica Kramer's PubMed Literature Search
Biological Chemistry Program
Polymer chemistry, protein engineering, bioconjugation techniques
My lab utilizes a combination of polymer chemistry, protein engineering, and bioconjugation techniques to address human health needs. We study fundamental glycobiology with the ultimate goal of developing glycoform targeted therapeutics. Current projects include 1) glycocalyx engineering to study the role of mucin glycoproteins in cancer; 2) synthetic epithelial mucus to model infection and absorption processes; 3) synthetic antifreeze proteins for cryopreservation of medical tissues and ultimately whole organs.
- Jessica R. Kramer, Bibiana Onoa, Carlos Bustamante, Carolyn R. Bertozzi. Chemically tunable mucin chimeras
assembled on living cells. PNAS.
doi: 10.1073/pnas.1516127112 (2015).
- Jessica R. Kramer,* Rosine Petitdemange,* Laure Bataille, Katell Bathany, Anne-Laure Wirotius, Bertrand Garbay, Timothy J. Deming, Elisabeth Garanger, and Sébastien Lecommandoux. Quantitative side-chain modifications of methionine-containing elastin-like polypeptides. ACS Macro Lett., 4, 1283–1286 (2015).
- Jessica R. Kramer,* Nathan W. Schmidt,* Kristine M. Mayle, Daniel T. Kamei, Gerard C. L. Wong, and Timothy J. Deming, Reinventing cell penetrating peptides using glycosylated methionine sulfonium ion sequences. ACS Cent. Sci., 2, 83–88 (2015).
- Jessica R. Kramer, and Timothy J. Deming. Deming. Recent advances in glycopolypeptide synthesis. Polym. Chem. 5, 671-682 (2014).
- Jessica R. Kramer, and Timothy J. Deming. Multimodal switching of conformation and solubility in homocysteine derived polypeptides. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 136, 5547–5550 (2014).
- April R. Rodriguez, Jessica R. Kramer, and Timothy J. Deming. Enzyme-triggered cargo release from methionine sulfoxide containing copolypeptide vesicles. Biomacromolecules 14, 3610–3614 (2013).
- Jessica R. Kramer, and Timothy J. Deming. Reversible Chemoselective tagging and functionalization of methionine containing peptides. Chem. Comm. 49, 5144–5146 (2013).
- Jessica R. Kramer,* April R. Rodriguez,* Uh-Joe Choe, Daniel T. Kamei, and Timothy J. Deming. Glycopolypeptide conformations in block copolymer assemblies influence both nanoscale morphology and ligand binding properties. Soft Matter 9, 3389–3395 (2013).
- Jessica R. Kramer, and Timothy J. Deming. Preparation of multifunctional and multireactive polypeptides via methionine alkylation. Biomacromolecules 13, 1719–1723 (2012).
- Jessica Kramer, Souren Soukiazian, Sky Mahoney, and Jocelyn Hicks-Garner. Microbial fuel cell biofilm characterization with thermogravimetric analysis on bare and polyethyleneimine surface modified carbon foam anodes. J. Power Sources 210, 122–128 (2012).
- Jessica R. Kramer and Timothy J. Deming. Glycopolypeptides with a redox-triggered helix-to-Coil Transition. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 134, 4112–4115 (2012).
- Jessica R. Kramer and Timothy J. Deming. General method for purification of α-amino acid-N-carboxyanhydrides using flash chromatography. Biomacromolecules 11, 3668–3672 (2010).
- Jessica R. Kramer and Timothy J. Deming. Glycopolypeptides via living polymerization of glycosylated-L-lysine N-carboxyanhydrides. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 132, 15068–15071 (2010).