Professor of Internal Medicine and
Research Professor of Biochemistry
B.A. Concordia College
Ph.D. Duke University
Dennis Winge's Lab Page
Dennis Winge's PubMed Literature Search
Molecular Biology Program
Biological Chemistry Program
Assembly of mitochondrial respiratory complexes, Mitochondria, OXPHOS Respiration
Research in the Winge laboratory is focused on cellular mitochondria. One major focus is the biogenesis of the mitochondrial electron transfer respiratory complexes II, III and IV within this organelle. Improper assembly of these complexes occurs in disease states of cardiomyopathy, hepatopathy and neurological disorders in patients with mutations in structural subunits or assembly factors. A key step in assembly of these complexes is the formation of their essential flavin, heme, and iron-sulfur centers, which are inserted by the involvement of assembly factor proteins. Current studies are focused on the assembly of iron-sulfur clusters within mitochondria and transfer of preassembled clusters to client proteins within the organelle. Heme is synthesized within mitochondria, but nothing is known of its trafficking to other cell compartments. Studies are ongoing on heme distribution within mitochondria.
- Fetherolf, M., Sneed, S.B., Taylor, A.B., Blackburn, N.J., Hart, P.J., Winge, D.R. and Winkler, D.D. (2016) "Copper-Zinc Superoxide Dismutase is Activated through a Sulfenic Acid Intermediate at a Copper-Ion Entry Site", submitted.
- VanVraken, J.G., Jeong, M.-Y., Gygi, S.P., Winge, D., Rutter, J. (2016) "The mitochondrial acyl carrier protein (ACP) coordinates mitochondrial fatty acid synthesis with iron sulfur cluster biogenesis", eLife, final review.
- Melber, A., Na, U., Vashisht, A., Weiler, B.D., Lill, R., Wohlschlegel, J.A., and Winge, D.R. (2016) "Role of Nfu1 and Bol3 in iron-sulfur cluster transfer to mitochondrial clients" eLife, final review.
- Kim, H.J., Jeong, M.-Y., Parnell, T., Babst M., Phillips, J.D., and Winge, D.R. (2016) "The plasma membrane protein Nce102 implicated in eisome formation rescues a heme defect in mitochondria", J. Biol. Chem. in press.
- Dela Cruz, R., Jeong, M.-Y., Winge, D.R. (2016) "Cox1 mutation abrogates need for Cox23 in Cytochrome c Oxidase Biogenesis", Microbial Cell, in press.
- Dwight, T., Na, U., Kim, E., Zhu, Y., Richardson, A.L., Robinson, B.G., Gill, A.J., Benn, D.E., Clifton-Bligh, R.J. and Winge, D.R. (2016) "Analysis of SDHAF3 in familial and sporadic pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma", BMC Cancer submitted.
- VanVranken, J.G., Na, U., Winge, D.R., and Rutter, J. (2014) "Protein-mediated assembly of succinate dehydrogenase and its cofactors", Critical Reviews In Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, 50, 168-180.
- Na, U., Yu, W., Cox, J., Bricker, D.K., Brockmann, K., Rutter, J., Thummel, C.S. & Winge, D.R. (2014) “The LYR factors SDHAF1 and SDHAF3 mediate maturation of the iron-sulfur subunit of succinate dehydrogenase”, Cell Metabolism 20, 1-14.
- Cui, T.Z., Conte, A., Fox, J.L., Zara, V. & Winge, D.R. (2014) “Modulation of the respiratory supercomplexes in yeast: Enhanced formation of cytochrome oxidase increases the stability and abundance of respiratory supercomplexes”, J Biol Chem 289, 6133-6141.
- Leary, S.C., Cobine, P.A., Nishimura, T., Verdijk, R.M., Krijger, R., de Coo, R., Tarnopolsky, M.A., Winge, D.R. & Shoubridge, E.A. (2013) “COX19 mediates the transduction of a mitochondrial redox signal from SCO1 that regulates ATP7A-mediated cellular copper efflux”, Mol Biol Cell 24, 683-691.
- Vest, K.E., Leary, S.C., Winge, D.R. and Cobine, P.A. (2013) " Copper Import into the Mitochondrial Matrix in Saccharomyces cerevisiae is Mediated by Pic2, a Mitochondrial Carrier Family Protein", J. Biol. Chem. 288: 23884-23892
- Sanchez, E., Lobo, T., Fox, J.L., Zeviani, M., Winge, D.R. & Fernandez-Vizarra, E. (2013) “LYRM7/MZM1L is a UQCRFS1 chaperone involved in the last steps of mitochondrial Complex III assembly in human cells”, BBA-Bioenerg 1827, 285-293.